Frequently Asked Questions

What are the municipal office hours?


When are the due dates for taxes?

End of March, May, August and October.


How can I pay my taxes and water?

Payments can be made by cash, cheque, post-dated cheque or through online banking at the following banks: Toronto Dominion, Bank of Montreal, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Nova Scotia, Credit Union and Royal Bank. Your online account # for tax purposes must begin with the number 5740. For water payments, you need your water account number.


How does garbage collection and recycling work in the Township?

There is a bin site in each village. Algoma Mills site is located behind the Municipal Office at 1385 Hwy 17. Spragge bin site is at the recreation park where the rink is at 1067 Old Hydro Road. Serpent River bin site is located just outside the gate at the landfill site, at 5931 Hwy 17. All sites are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Each site has video surveillance.


What are the Serpent River Landfill Site Hours?

Summer hours are from May 1 to September 30. The hours are as follows:

Wednesdays             4:00 pm to 7:00 pm

Saturdays                    10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Winter hours are from October 1 to April 30. The hours are as follows:

Wednesdays             2:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Saturdays                  10:00 pm to 4:00 pm


How much are the tipping fees?

The rates vary depending on the size of your vehicle and/or trailer.


How do I pay the tipping fees?

The landfill attendant will take your mailing address at the gate and you will be invoiced. Payments can be made by cash or cheque to the municipal office.


What do I do with hazardous waste items?

The Township takes part in a household hazardous waste day in Blind River. This takes place once every two years, usually in the month of July. It is free to our residents. Notices will be posted on our local bulletin boards, in our monthly newsletter and on our website.


How do I get a building permit?

You fill in an application and give to the municipal office. They will send it to the Chief Building Official, who then issues the permits. Costs vary according to the work being done. Payment can be made by cash or cheque at the municipal office when the permit is picked up.


How can I purchase a cemetery lot?

Cemetery lots can be purchased through the Municipal Office. We have resident and non resident fees. For more information, see our Cemetery By-Law 08-45.


Who and How do I reach my council representative?

Each Ward has a Councillor along with the Mayor and Councillor at large who both represent the whole township. Ward 1 is Algoma Mills, Ward 2 is Spragge and Ward 3 is Serpent River. Council members names and contact info can be found on the township’s website.